A few months ago I shared the 15 items I’ve never regretted splurging on. I thought it would be fun to follow it up with the 5 items best & worst wardrobe investments I’ve made. It was easy to narrow it down to the top 5 best wardrobe investments (I excluded jewelry), but I surprisingly struggled to come up with 5 purchases I regretted and only settled on four. I guess that’s a good thing??!
I honestly think it has less to do with not making bad purchases than it does continually editing my wardrobe. If I don’t wear it, I sell or donate it pretty quickly.
- I own 5 jackets and my black leather moto jacket from Banana Republic is the most worn in my closet. I love that it instantly elevates any outfit and adds a bit of cool that this mama is sometimes lacking. I wear it casually with jeans or over a dress with heels. If you have a BR credit card, wait for a 50% off promo and snatch it up!
- I know, I know, I can’t shut up about my Citizens of Humanity Rocket Crop jeans. Since having kids, I’ve been on a search for a pair of jeans that fit and make me feel good. The CoH Rocket jeans are it. They are high waisted without being too high and cutting into my sides. I’d gladly sell all my other jeans to buy another pair of these.
- I lusted over the Stuart Weitzman 5050 OTK boots for years before pooling my gift cards and finally snagging them on sale. I may not wear them as often as I thought I would, but when I do I feel like a better version of myself. Again, they do occasionally go on sale so save up your $$$ and wait it out.
- Stripes are such a classic and it doesn’t get better than Saint James Striped Sailor shirt. I’ve had mine for a year and a half and wear it almost every week. The quality is fantastic and has withstood repeated washings. And I just discovered it’s sold at Nordstrom. Free shipping and returns anyone??
- The list wouldn’t be complete without my trusty M. Gemi loafers. Out of the box, they felt like butter on my feet. I’ve now convinced a few girlfriends to get them and have yet to have a disappointed friend. They’re so good I’m on my second pair! If you want to get $50 off your first purchase, message me for a code!
- On the flip side are my black M. Gemi stilettos. It’s not that they are bad shoes. They are as comfortable as 4.25″ heels can be and black is a classic must have for any wardrobe. But they were a definite splurge for shoes that I don’t wear often.
- So I actually have the Madewell fleet jacket in a blue shade that is no longer available. The problem is I also have a similar jacket in green fatigue. Without fail, I always wear the green one instead of the blue. There was a sale, the blue was almost out of stock in my size so I bought it. I knew almost immediately it wasn’t a good purchase.
- I am not one to splurge spontaneously, especially when it comes to handbags. My mom and I were in LA for the week a few years ago and visited the Clare V store. I wanted a crossbody bag, but I got sucked into a purchase I wasn’t ready to make because I was in LA, on vacation and at one of my favorite brands. Soon after I bought it, I got pregnant and have carried a huge tote/diaper bag ever since. I did sell it on Poshmark yesterday though!
- This is the only one of my worst investment purchases that is due to quality. I’ve had two Rails plaid shirts and the quality on both has been disappointing (shrink, pilling and tears). I’ve learned my lesson and won’t buy another one.
What’s the best purchase you’ve ever made?